The Winter Olympic Games will play out over 17 thrilling days in February 2022. Each day, there’s a wide variety of sports and events to choose from. A total of 109 medal events will make up the Winter Games in Beijing, featuring 15 different disciplines in 7 different sports. Take a look at our Winter Games schedule below to plan your ultimate sports travel experience.
When are the Winter Olympic Games 2022?
The 2022 Winter Games are scheduled to begin on Friday, February 4, 2022 and conclude on Sunday, February 20, 2022. There are three sports that will have preliminary events prior to the official start of the Games: curling, figure skating, and ice hockey.
What events are in the Winter Games?
There will be 109 medal events at the 2022 Winter Games, seven more than there were at the 2018 Games in PyeongChang. The events will be contested in 15 different disciplines:
- Alpine Skiing
- Cross-country skiing
- Figure Skating
- Freestyle Skiing
- Ice Hockey
- Nordic combined
- Short Track
- Ski Jumping
- Speed Skating
When are the best days to attend the Winter Games?
That’s a tough question to answer as the “best day” depends on each traveler’s specific interests. Some days will be more popular than others, including the following schedule highlights:
February 4 – The sporting world has been looking forward to this day for the last four years. All the anticipation has led to February 4th, the official opening of the Winter Games. The Opening Ceremonies are one of the most coveted events and showcase a spectacle like no other. The atmosphere is buzzing and it’s a great day to experience this world-class sporting event.
February 8 – Today is one of the busiest days of the Winter Games with a total of 10 medal events, and competitions in 10 different disciplines. If you going to the Games to take in as much sporting action as possible, this is an ideal day to do just that.
February 20 – The final day of the Winter Games offers one of its most popular events: the Men’s gold medal hockey game. In addition, medals will be awarded in bobsleigh, cross-country skiing, and curling. Also on this day, figure skating fans can enjoy the sport’s exhibition gala. Later, the Closing Ceremonies wrap things up for another four years.
Popular Sporting Disciplines and Interesting Events at the Winter Games in Beijing
The Winter Games offer 17 exciting days filled with winter sport competition. Within those 2.5 weeks there are so many events to choose from. Some fans chose the most popular, some focus on their favorite sport. Here are a few suggestions for those looking to make the most of their 2022 Winter Games experience.
- The men’s and women’s ice hockey tournaments often draw in big crowds, especially in the knockout rounds.
- Figure Skating, both pairs and singles, are always highly-sought after events
- The Opening Ceremonies appeal to a huge demographic and the perfect way to kick off the Winter Games
Brand New Events
There are seven new events at the 2022 Winter Games:
- Aerials mixed team
- Men’s freestyle skiing big air
- Short track mixed team relay
- Ski jumping mixed team
- Snowboard cross mixed team
- Women’s freestyle skiing big air
- Women’s monobobsled
Other interesting events:
- Curling is growing in popularity and its tournament format makes it a fun event to follow throughout the Games.
- The sliding sports of bobsleigh, luge and skeleton involve watching athletes hurl themselves down a frozen track (sometimes headfirst) at unbelievable speeds.
- Snowboarding is fascinating to watch. From the impressive tricks of the half-pipe to the speed of the slalom and cross events, it’s hard not to be captivated by the athleticism on display.
What will be the best events at the 2022 Winter Games in Beijing?
There are so many great events at the Winter Games but some are more popular than others. Typically the top three are:
- Opening Ceremonies
- Ice Hockey Men’s Final
- Figure Skating Pairs and Singles
Other highly popular events include Downhill Skiing, Snowboard, Speed Skating, and Short Track.